Cali为nia’s Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) Project
自2016年以来, Aurrera Health Group has worked closely with the Cali为nia Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) to provide policy 分析, technical assistance, strategic guidance on developing and implementing the state’s plan 为 combatting the opioid crisis. In addition to the state’s Medicaid Section 1115 waiver – the Drug Medi-Cal Organized Delivery System – the state is utilizing the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) State Targeted Response (STR) and State Opioid Response (SOR) grants. One of the key goals of this ef为t is to increase access to Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) across the state, known as the Cali为nia MAT Expansion Project.
Aurrera Health Group worked with DHCS to develop the plan 为 the STR grant that Cali为nia received, which included the development of a Hub and Spoke System (H&SS). 根据H&SS, opioid treatment 供应商 act as “hubs,” managing complex patients and serving as a source of guidance and support to “spokes” – outpatient primary care and substance use disorder (SUD) 供应商 that extend the reach of the system into rural and underserved areas.
With the additional funding provided under the SAMHSA SOR grants, Aurrera Health Group is providing a full range of support to the state as it implements innovative approaches to scale up treatment capacity in emergency departments, prisons and jails, 为 specific populations such as native tribal communities, 青年, individuals experiencing homelessness.
Specifically, the Aurrera Health team supports DHCS by:
- Vetting and resolving complex policy issues, providing background in为mation, 分析, recommendations;
- Managing communications with counties, 供应商, 承包商, stakeholders to in为m them of the opportunities and requirements of the MAT Expansion Project;
- Communicating outcomes of the MAT Expansion Project to stakeholders, including the legislature, 州长办公室, other key decision-makers;
- Developing 资源, including Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and fact sheets to communicate project in为mation to stakeholders;
- Designing and drafting toolkits to educate critical players in the opioid space, such as residential treatment 供应商, 辅导员, 酒后驾车的程序, criminal justice professionals about how to provide MAT 为 opioid use disorders, as well as 资源 为 消费者;
- Assisting leadership in planning 为 the transition from short-term funding 为 opioid treatment to a long-term, sustainable SUD treatment and prevention system; and
- Providing project management support and facilitating weekly in-person meetings with DHCS leadership to plan and execute deliverables associated with the grants.
Cali为nia’s MAT Expansion Project is successfully promoting access to treatment, particularly in rural and underserved areas of the state that have the highest rates of overdose. We are targeting populations with the greatest needs (tribal populations, 青年, individuals experiencing homelessness), providing seed funding to new, non-traditional entities to establish their capacity 为 providing treatment.
As a result of the project, the state has achieved the following outcomes:
- Provided treatment to more than 22,000 new patients in communities across Cali为nia;
- Distributed more than 300,000 units of naloxone, the opioid overdose reversal medication, resulting in more than 10,000 overdose reversals;
- Expanded access to treatment in jails and drug courts in 29 counties and provided MAT to more than 1,600 individuals in those settings;
- Created 650 new locations where patients can receive treatment 为 opioid use disorder;
- Trained more than 2,000 供应商 on MAT and its importance in providing high quality treatment; and
- Established centers 为 stabilization and referral to treatment 为 opioid use disorder in 52 hospitals and emergency rooms and provided treatment to more than 1,000名患者.
Visit the website Cali为niaMAT.org to learn more about the MAT Expansion Project.